My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://viaviands.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Blueberry-Orange Yogurt Cake


I keep protesting that I don't really like cake, and then I keep finding excuses to make more.

It seems like I have lots of inspirations to make cakes these days, from birthdays to wee chocolate ladybugs to the unopened container of Greek yogurt in the fridge.

Ok, who am I kidding - I was really inspired by Smitten Kitchen's amazing food photographs and mouthwatering prose. The yogurt was just an excuse.


With subtle hints of orange and the pop of tiny blueberries, this cake was pretty stellar. It was great as dessert after dinner, but even better as a snack in the afternoon. Because blueberries plus oranges plus yogurt equals healthy, right?

Right?


This was also great (though less photogenic) with lime zest instead of orange and frozen blackberries instead of blueberries. Somehow, I'm sure it will be even better when berries are actually in season!



Blueberry-Orange Yogurt Cake
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

I had to tinker with the recipe, of course. A little less sugar, since orange is sweeter than lemon; almond extract instead of vanilla; butter instead of oil.

Deb refers to this cake "crazy moist." Despite my tinkerings and despite my strong dislike of the word "moist" - to me, it onomatopoetically conjures up sweaty running shoes or rotting compost heaps, or muddy horse pastures where your rubber boots go
moist, moist, moist as you walk, and therefore shouldn't be used to describe food - I do have to agree. This cake is crazy moist, and in a much more delicious way than shoes or compost or mud. Now that I've completely spoiled your appetite, go make this!



1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1/2 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled (so it won't curdle the yogurt)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (I used tiny frozen wild blueberries and didn't bother defrosting them first)

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, the sugar, the eggs, orange zest, almond extract and melted butter. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold the blueberries gently into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment