My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://viaviands.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Toppings Salad



I'm fortunate enough to work from home, which means I also get to eat lunch at home.

Or, usually. There are days when I'm running around from grocery store to grocery store, stomach rumbling indignantly, waiting till I can get home at 3 or 4 to have a bowl of cereal for lunch.

But generally I can make myself lunch - make scrambled eggs, make a sandwich, heat up leftovers.

The other day, I made myself a giant bowl of salad for lunch.



Chopped apples and pears, baby carrots, broccoli, snow peas, nuts, and goat cheese. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar. No lettuce to mess with the deliciousness.

A toppings salad. Just the way Cary and I like it.



Cori looked at my giant bowl of salad and raised her eyebrows. "I'll be really impressed if you can eat all of that," she said.



I looked at her for a moment, then dug in.

Twenty minutes later, I presented her with an empty bowl.



Yum.



Toppings Salad
A toppings salad is a great way to sample whatever produce is in season - or to clean out your veggie drawer. I sort of just chop up and toss in anything that looks good, so, uh, calling this a recipe is sort of a stretch.

Combine:
1 apple, cored and roughly chopped
1 pear, cored and roughly chopped
1 handful baby carrots, roughly chopped
1 handful snow peas, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
1 handful broccoli florets
1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
1 small handful almonds
1 small handful walnuts
1 drizzle balsamic vinegar
1 skeptical housemate
1 empty bowl
1 triumphant smile

No comments:

Post a Comment